PN accuses Roderick Galdes over Vittoriosa building collapse

The Nationalist Party has accused Affordable Housing Minister Roderick Galdes of prolonged inaction following the partial collapse of a condemned building in Vittoriosa, an incident that reignited debate over building safety, government accountability and the management of neglected properties across Malta. The collapse occurred on New Year’s Eve and involved part of the façade of an abandoned structure in Triq l-Antika. Although no injuries were reported, the opposition has argued that the incident highlights serious failures in oversight and preventive action.
The case has attracted political attention due to claims that authorities had been warned for several years about the deteriorating condition of the building. According to opposition statements, these warnings came from residents, local authorities and internal government channels. The Nationalist Party has described the situation as a missed opportunity to protect public safety and restore a building that was once earmarked for social housing.
Partial collapse sparks safety concerns in Vittoriosa
The collapse occurred during the early hours of Wednesday morning when part of the external façade of the abandoned building gave way. The structure is located in a residential area of Vittoriosa, also known as Birgu, a locality characterised by narrow streets and closely spaced properties. Residents in the area reported hearing debris falling and expressed concern over the potential consequences had the collapse occurred at a busier time of day.
Emergency services were alerted and the area was secured. Authorities confirmed that no individuals were injured and no adjacent buildings were immediately affected. However, the incident prompted renewed scrutiny of other ageing properties in the locality that may be in a similar state of disrepair.
Later that day, Parliamentary Secretary Glenn Bedingfield visited the site and published a social media post expressing solidarity with residents. His visit was framed as a gesture of support and reassurance following the incident.
Opposition accuses minister of prolonged inaction
In a formal statement, the Nationalist Party placed responsibility squarely on the shoulders of Affordable Housing Minister Roderick Galdes. Shadow minister for social and affordable housing Ivan Bartolo stated that the government had been informed about the building’s dangerous condition for a prolonged period yet failed to take meaningful action.
Bartolo said the government had been aware of the risks posed by the structure “for at least four years” and described the failure to intervene as “shameful”. He argued that the collapse was not an isolated or unforeseeable event but the outcome of repeated warnings being ignored over time.
The opposition stressed that the incident should be viewed as a warning sign of broader systemic issues in the management of condemned or abandoned properties, particularly those located in densely populated urban areas.
Claims of ignored warnings from multiple sources
According to the Nationalist Party, concerns about the building were raised by various parties over several years. These included residents living in the vicinity, the mayor of Birgu and members of the local council which is controlled by the Labour Party.
Bartolo stated that the warnings were not informal or anecdotal but included several formal reports submitted through official channels. He alleged that these reports repeatedly highlighted the deteriorating condition of the building and the potential danger it posed to passersby and neighbouring properties.
“Not only did they fail to act, but they ignored repeated calls made by the mayor and even by their own local council,” Bartolo said.
The opposition contends that the lack of intervention raises serious questions about how such reports are handled and whether sufficient priority is given to public safety concerns once they are formally logged.
Emails allegedly show early awareness of risks
Bartolo referred to a series of emails published by NET News which he said demonstrate that Minister Galdes had been directly alerted to the condition of the building as early as July 2023. According to the opposition, these emails included photographic evidence illustrating the advanced state of decay.
The correspondence is said to include images sent by Birgu mayor John Boxall, who is a member of the Labour Party. Bartolo argued that this undermines any claim that the risks were unknown or inadequately communicated within government structures.
While the opposition has relied on these emails to support its claims, the government has not publicly commented on the specific correspondence cited. The matter has therefore remained within the political domain, with competing narratives about responsibility and response.
Past promises of restoration and social housing use
The Nationalist Party has also recalled that Minister Galdes visited the site in 2019, at which time he publicly stated that the building would be restored and converted into social housing. According to Bartolo, this commitment was presented as part of broader efforts to address housing needs while preserving existing structures.
“Yet nothing came of it,” Bartolo said, arguing that the absence of progress over several years represents a failure to follow through on stated policy objectives.
The opposition maintains that the failure to restore the building not only deprived potential beneficiaries of social housing but also allowed the structure to continue deteriorating, ultimately leading to the partial collapse.
Limited interim measures criticised by opposition
According to the Nationalist Party, the only tangible action taken by the ministry over the years was the installation of scaffolding around the building. This measure was intended to contain falling debris but did not address the underlying structural issues.
Bartolo argued that such measures amounted to temporary containment rather than a comprehensive solution. He suggested that the reliance on scaffolding reflected a pattern of postponing decisive intervention rather than resolving known risks.
The opposition further claimed that the presence of scaffolding may have created a false sense of security while the structure continued to weaken internally.
Broader implications for public safety and governance
Beyond the specific incident in Vittoriosa, the Nationalist Party has used the collapse to highlight what it describes as a wider failure in safeguarding residents from preventable risks. Bartolo warned that other dilapidated properties across Malta could pose similar dangers if left unattended.
He argued that both Minister Galdes and Prime Minister Robert Abela had long been aware of the issues associated with ageing and condemned buildings yet failed to establish an effective framework for timely intervention.
The opposition stressed that the collapse could have had far more serious consequences given the location and surrounding foot traffic. It described the absence of injuries as a matter of luck rather than the result of effective management.
Government responsibility and accountability debate
The incident has fuelled ongoing debate about the division of responsibility between different government entities when it comes to building safety. While local councils often raise concerns, the authority to intervene may lie with national agencies or specific ministries depending on ownership and designation.
The opposition has argued that this fragmentation can result in delays and inaction, particularly when properties fall under the remit of government departments. Bartolo called for clearer accountability and stronger enforcement mechanisms to ensure that warnings translate into timely action.
He also emphasised the importance of transparency in how reports are assessed and prioritised, especially when they relate to potential threats to life and property.
Urban decay and heritage considerations
Vittoriosa is one of Malta’s oldest cities and contains numerous historic buildings, many of which require specialised restoration. The collapse has therefore also raised questions about how heritage properties are maintained when they are no longer in active use.
The opposition suggested that neglecting such buildings undermines both public safety and cultural preservation. Bartolo argued that proactive restoration could serve dual purposes by preserving heritage while providing social or community housing.
He added that allowing historic structures to deteriorate to the point of collapse reflects poorly on long term urban planning strategies.
Calls for preventative action and reform
In light of the incident, the Nationalist Party has called for a comprehensive review of condemned and abandoned properties owned or managed by the state. Bartolo said such a review should assess structural risks and establish clear timelines for intervention.
He also called for improved coordination between local councils and central government, arguing that warnings raised at the local level should trigger mandatory follow up procedures.
The opposition has framed these proposals as necessary steps to prevent future incidents and restore public confidence in building safety oversight.
A collapse that could have been avoided
The partial collapse of the Vittoriosa building has become a focal point in the ongoing political debate over responsibility, safety and governance. While no injuries were recorded, the opposition maintains that the outcome could have been far worse and that the incident was preventable.
By highlighting past warnings, documented correspondence and unfulfilled commitments, the Nationalist Party has sought to present the collapse as the result of systemic neglect rather than an isolated failure.
As discussions continue, the incident stands as a reminder of the risks posed by neglected structures and the importance of timely action when concerns are raised. Whether the collapse leads to meaningful reforms or remains a point of political contention will depend on the actions taken in its aftermath.
Conclusion
The partial collapse of the abandoned building in Vittoriosa has underscored persistent concerns about building safety, governance and the handling of long standing warnings related to structural risks. While no injuries were recorded, the incident has been widely framed as a near miss that exposed vulnerabilities in how condemned and deteriorating properties are managed, particularly when responsibility rests with public authorities.
The opposition’s criticism has focused on the gap between documented warnings, public commitments and concrete action. By highlighting years of reported concerns and unfulfilled restoration plans, the Nationalist Party has sought to present the collapse as avoidable rather than accidental. At the same time, the situation has brought renewed attention to the broader challenges posed by urban decay, heritage preservation and public safety in densely built localities.
As political debate continues, the Vittoriosa incident stands as a test case for whether lessons will be learned and preventive measures strengthened. Ensuring timely intervention, clearer accountability and effective coordination between local and national authorities remains central to reducing future risk and restoring public confidence in the oversight of Malta’s ageing building stock.
FAQs
What happened in Vittoriosa on New Year’s Eve?
Part of the façade of an abandoned building in Triq l-Antika partially collapsed during the early hours of the morning without causing injuries.
Was anyone injured in the building collapse?
No injuries were reported and emergency services secured the area shortly after the incident.
Why is the Nationalist Party criticising Minister Roderick Galdes?
The opposition claims the minister was warned for several years about the building’s dangerous condition but failed to take effective action.
What warnings were allegedly ignored?
According to the opposition, warnings came from residents, the Birgu mayor and the local council through formal reports and correspondence.
What evidence has the opposition cited?
Ivan Bartolo referred to emails published by NET News which allegedly show that the minister was alerted to the risks as early as July 2023.
Did the government promise to restore the building?
The opposition says Minister Galdes stated in 2019 that the building would be restored and converted into social housing.
What measures were taken before the collapse?
The Nationalist Party claims the only action taken was the installation of scaffolding to contain falling debris.
Why is this incident considered serious despite no injuries?
The opposition argues that the collapse could have caused fatalities given the location and foot traffic in the area.
Are other buildings at risk according to the opposition?
Yes, the Nationalist Party has warned that other neglected properties could pose similar dangers if left unattended.
What changes is the opposition calling for?
The opposition is calling for a review of condemned properties, clearer accountability and faster intervention to prevent future incidents.
Ash
I like to keep it short. I am a writer who also knows how to rhyme his lines. I can write articles, edit them and also carve out some poetic lines from my mind. Education B.A. - English, Delhi University, India, Graduated 2017.









































